Mindfulness Sessions Coming to LEAF!
We are very excited and proud to announce that, beginning Wednesday, 13 July 2016, we will offer mindfulness sessions every Wednesday from 8:00 pm to 9:00 pm. Mindfulness means paying attention in a particular way; on purpose, in the present moment, and non-judgmentally. These sessions will help participants to learn how to pay attention on purpose by practicing specially-developed mindfulness meditation practices. With practice, practitioners will learn to slow down or stop brain chatter and automatic or habitual reactions, experiencing the present moment as it really is. Why mindfulness?
It supports many attitudes that contribute to a satisfied life. It can help you become fully engaged in activities and help you to develop a greater capacity to deal with adverse events. Many people who practice mindfulness find they are:
- less likely to get caught up in worries about the future or regrets over the past;
- less preoccupied with concerns about success and self-esteem; and
- better able to form deep connections with others.
It may help you to manage:
- heart disease;
- blood pressure;
- chronic pain;
- sleep; and
- gastrointestinal difficulties.
It may also help you to manage:
- substance abuse;
- eating disorders;
- couples’ conflicts;
- anxiety disorders; and
- obsessive-compulsive disorder.
It can help you to achieve and maintain your weight goals by:
- getting you back in touch with your body’s real needs;
- helping you appreciate food more, so you eat less;
- interrupting the relationship between thoughts and the automatic behaviors based on those thoughts;
- disrupting a mindless relationship to the media; and
- undercutting common states of mind that lead to eating.
Space is limited. Call 613-701-1222 to reserve your spot today. The cost is $150 for a 10-week series of sessions. Each session will be led by a registered social worker.